Monday, May 17, 2010

River Bank Run 2010

After training for three months, the long awaited race day was here.  I woke up to nearly freezing temperatures and a howling wind outside. It had been a long time since I ran a race, so my nerves were going almost to the point of being sick.  The longer I run, the sharper my competitive edge has become.  It's not so much about beating others (although, I still like to come out on top), it's really between me and the clock.   And River Bank Run 2010 was no different...

By the time 8:20 rolled around and was in the starting shoots, I was ready.  My ultimate goal this year was to be sure to wear my shoe chip. After wearing the wrong half last year, and not receiving an official time, I was sure to get it right this year. In fact, I had my chip on the night before the race! 

As always, it took a few miles to warm up and get into a solid pace, but once I did I felt great.  It is in those moments that I'm reminded why I run: the adrenaline, the power surging through my body, the strength, confidence, and release of each pre-race worry.  Every long Saturday morning run by myself all winter long is forgotten in those moments. 

Surprisingly, the wind and cooler temperatures weren't very noticeable out on the course. That is until I reached the back half of the race by Millennium Park. Miles eight to eleven were probably the worse due to the increased wind and rolling hills.  While running through the park, I continued to stay hunkered down with the 8:30 pace group.

When mile 12 hit, I knew I had more in me and decided it was time to pick up the pace. By the time I reached the last half mile of the race, I was feeling the burn. I knew Aaron and my parents would be cheering me on in the final stretch, and it really kept me going.  I pushed hard and crossed the finish line with a time of 2:08:26.  I was in the top third of 25k-ers, 75th in my age division, and in the top third of the women runners!  I was very proud of how I ran!

Like usual, I'm already planning my next event. I think my sites are on the Grand Rapids Half Marathon this fall! 

No comments: