Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Bayshore Marathon

I am a MARATHONER! Not many people can say that, but I am proud to wear the title. The Bayshore Marathon was last Saturday (5-23) and it's a day I will not soon forget. The gun went off at 7:00 a.m. sharp and I had no choice but to be ready. The first two miles were a bit of a struggle as I wasn't quite psyched yet. I was concerned that my foot would start acting up, but once I put that silly notion behind me I ran my heart out. From mile 1 to mile 26 I felt great! No pain, no worries, no 18 mile wall! Just pure confidence that all those hours I logged every week truly paid off.

A few miles in, I teamed up with a gal who was also running her first marathon. We stuck together for the middle portion of the race, but when I hit mile 18 I knew I could pick up the pace. And I did just that. Crazy enough, I ran the second half at a 15 second pace faster than the first 13. My faithful husband chased me along the course and several of my friends showed up at the spectator spots too. Mile 23 was one of the best. Not because I was three miles away from finishing, but rather because I had a crowd of ten or more cheering me on!

I crossed the finish line with a time of 4:01:40! Running a marathon was something I never thought I would do or could do, but now all that's changed. I am so proud of my accomplishment...who knows, I might even do it again!?!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

Rach said...

Way to go Carrie! What an accomplishment. You are awesome & my hero. I was waiting & waiting & waiting for you to post this. I wish I could have been there to cheer you on.