I have certainly been enjoying my free time the past week or so. It doesn't feel like I have been doing a whole lot, but in reality I've been staying super busy.
The average day starts about 8:30 with a cup of coffee or two and the Today Show. Usually in between cups, I take care of the household chores (laundry, dusting, vacuuming, etc.) Yesterday, I spent two hours on my hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen and bathroom floors! Fun, I know! One of my new things each morning is planning that day's meal. I have actually been having a blast experimenting with different menu items...Aaron's tummy is pleased too! Most have been coming from Kraft Food and Family.
Weather permitting, I try to get outside for a few hours. I have been busy wedding the garden, tending to the lawn, sneaking over to the neighbor's house and pulling their obnoxious 4 ft. tall weeds (last Saturday, I think they spotted me! Oops!). I've become quite frustrated with our neighbors lack of interest in taking care of their homes. The home on the south side of us is for sale and vacant. The lawn rarely gets mowed and the beautifully landscaped yard is overgrown with thistles and masked by weeds. Shh....yesterday I pulled a few weeds there too! I know I am probably overstepping my boundaries, but I take pride in our home and neighborhood.
What else have I been doing? I've spend several hours on the phone to concrete and landscaping companies in order to get estimates for our backyard patio. Aaron and I are making great progress! This weekend he's going to build the stairs from the deck to the ground!
A favorite part of the summer for any teacher is having time for leisurely reading. Currently, I am reading The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg. To my great joy, my favorite author, David Sedaris, published a new book this June titled "When You Are Engulfed in Flames." The UPS man delivered it to my front door yesterday, but I can't start it until the novel by Berg is read in full.
Lastly, I've been continuing my running. This Saturday, I am running in the Brain Deimer 5K Race. My time goal is 26:30. And Aaron and I are officially registered for the GR Half Marathon this October 19; we are set to start training next week! We start out with a mere 9 miles per week (I'm already doing about 12 per week), and escalate t0 about 20-22 miles per week. It should be quite an interesting, yet rewarding experience.
The fun ends next week, when I will find myself in a dark, cold computer lab for my Technology in Education grad. class.
No comments:
Post a Comment